Friday, February 20, 2009

living through stories

I'm done with the book! I love that the end concludes with the story of Linda. O'brien reverts back to a childhood story which I think shows the juxtaposition of innocence and war. Childhood seems to be the knowing of so little and war seems to know too much. But these "men" are children at war and innocent to the ways of war. And O'brien became knowledgeable about death at a young age with the first girl he loved.

I like the that the end of the book can connect to any reader. Some of the experiences in the book seem so far removed from how we live our life. In the end O'brien says that the dead live through stories and we tell stories to make them less dead or keep them alive in a way. I can agree with this. It's been years since 3 of my grandparents have passed away. My family and I still tell stories about them. And if someone will listen, I'll tell stories about my grandparents to them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No need to raise your hand...